Monday, February 18, 2008

風魔の小次郎 Ep 1

Finally laid my hands on the complete series. Was saving this one for a full DVD marathon. And since I am gearing up for a totally hectic week due to some local exhibition here, I have come to the important decision that I shall reward myself with one episode daily before I sleep , starting from yesterday to next week.

Expect to hear more of me and my ramblings on 風魔の小次郎 .

I have to say - I LOVE THIS SERIES and the first episode is surprisingly entertaining. The fighting scenes are special effects are all very well done by local TV production standards. Totally different from the usual cheesy 12ch production.

Fans of 車田正美 must watch this. Its a rare chance to see your fav manga and all its fighting sequence in real life action dorama glory. Although lacking slightly in character development due to the limitations of a 13 episode series, the action more than makes up for it. Imagine my heart pounding when I get to 白羽阵 later.

I am relatively tempted to buy the box set with all the freebies from Animate the next time I am in Japan.

Episode 1 introduces us to the main character -小次郎. Besides this, nothing is mentioned about the rest of the 風魔一族.  

The main climax takes place in the carpack, a showdown between 小次郎 and 壬生攻介 (kid brother of  夜叉一族's ruler 夜叉姫.) Its done quite matrix style ( dun snigger!) and we see 攻介's special attacks using water which explains why he needs to break the sprinkler .....duh! to deliver the heavy duty water punch at  小次郎. 小次郎, being  風魔 of course uses power of the wind. 攻介 loses this first bitter battle between the 2 ninja tribes.

The lighter moments of the series see 小次郎 behaving as your regular ah-beng, drooling over hot babes and bumming around. It does not get overly irritating though as these are just the minor portions of the series. Kudos to  村井良大 who takes on the role of 小次郎. This chap is NOT good-looking at all, just your very regular boy next door. But when he gets into a ninja mode, he literally shines. And yet when he is bumming around, he is like your regular HDB ah-beng.

We are also introduced to 飛鳥武蔵.He is a ninja for hire and is hired by 夜叉姫 to help them fight against the 風魔一族. At this point, not much is revealed about him. But watch it and he will be one of the main characters in the series.

The next episodes onwards will be fun. All the 8 generals of 風魔一族 will make their grand appearance. Going by the manga, each one will pit their skills against  1 夜叉 general. Ooooh, cannot wait but damn sad too.....coz this is one of those manga series where many key characters actually die.....including my favourite ones. On top of that, I have my favourite 風魔chap, my fav evil guy, my fav skill, my fav sword, my fav fighting scenes etc. Keeping my fingers crossed that they will do a nice job out of the showdown between 項羽 and 白虎.

Highly recommended for those who love slick ninja action!

No comments: