Monday, February 13, 2006

Prince of Tennis


OKAY!!!!!!! I admit....I am terribly hooked onto PoT.
Yes......spit at me, despise me.....look down on me. I have degenerated into one of those screaming fan gals out there.

Seigaku regular.....頑張れ!!!!!!

I am about 25 episodes into the 178 episodes long anime and I am soooo darn hooked.....I feel like taking 2-3 days off work and cramming the remaining episodes altogether. Spent the whole of Sunday from noon till about 9 pm doing nothing but watching PoT. In the meantime, I had like 2 packets of Maggi instant noodle ( curry flavour) to last me the whole day.......nya nya, how did I manage this. Except for toilet breaks and to change the DVD, i swear I din leave my bloody sofa at all....Yeap, the portion I sat at looks suspiciously sunken now. Yes, I am a sucker for those long long series.

Lets put it this way....if you are a guy, you will enjoy this series because its one of the better ones involving some sports. The characters are well developed, each one of them is unique, the tennis games are well animated and the technical aspects of the game are extremely well researched.

If you are a gal, you will like it coz the series has so many bishounens. Everyone of you out there will have a favourite Seigaku regular character and one favourite rival team and one favourite rival team player. There you go.......how can you not be hooked!

Urm.....if you are a yaoi fan like me.....ahem......this series is every yaoi fangal's fantasy. So many pairing possibilities.......the golden pair大石 and 菊丸? 青学最強の男手塚 and 天才不二 ? Ryoma and Momoshiro aka Momo-chan?......uuuurgh....... C'mon, you can slash absolutely anyone with anyone. Not since Saint Seiya has there been another so absolutely slashable anime. ( I am a pervert....but of course I am!!!)
網球王子配對規律如下:
(1) 有份打雙打一定會出事 (大石x菊丸, 桃城x越前)
(2)最強和最變態都會被歸類再一起 (青学最強の男手塚 x天才不二,這個是我暫時最喜歡的配對)


Okay....lest I actually scare some of you potential fans off. Back to the series, besides the wonderful display of tennis games, I think the strength lies in the character creation for this series. Each of the main characters are so unique, no repetition and yet so real.

越前りょうま - this is the prodigy of the show, the supposedly prince of tennis. Bloody cocky and rude, doesn't look a bit like a 12-year old at all. But a character which I like a lot. He sees the tennis court as his own playground and I like the way the central character here is not made out to be the perfect kawaii boy like in most shounen mangas. In fact, besides playing tennis, he is not keen in anything else......except maybe Carupin, his himalayan cat. Although he is a wonderful singles player, he cannot play doubles for nuts and the pairing of Ryoma and Momo-chan turned out to be the most embarrassing moments for Seigaku when Ryoma and Momo-chan had to resort to some really obiang 口號to coordinate their movements. Ryoma is also the record holder for "I can stare at you without blinking" contest (just joking here....)

手塚国光 - Ahem.....this one is my favourite. Very dry character, barely speaks and when he opens his bloody mouth its to make the team run another 20 laps round the court. He happens to be the captain of the Seigaku team and has not lost a game, officially and unofficially. He is otherwise known as 青学最強の男. He was actually the one who helped Ryoma step out of his father (Nanjiro's) shadow to become a truly all-rounded tennis player. I was extremely stunned by the scene when he defeated Ryoma but yet went up to Ryoma and asked him to become Seigaku's pillar. You know, its that love-hate thing, competitive yet he cannot stop caring for Ryoma. (NO......this is not a slashable pair). This guy.....even the teachers are scared shit of him. Always so cool, even when he accidentally drank 乾's secret concoction, he tried to act cool but you could see his hands shivering.....Hilarious!

不二 周助 - THIS is the slashable half for 手塚国光 okay! Also known as天才player, ranked no2 after who-else?? Always smiling and grinning so hard you barely see his eyes for a large part of the anime until he gets serious in court.....this is the time he turns into a monster. This is one guy, you definitely do not want to antagonize for he is a bloody pervert. 不二其實骨子裏很惡劣。雖然平時都一直微笑,不過這個看似人畜無害的小個子其實會在不知不覺中把你吃了。"眼睛一張開你就死定了"....還有就是唯恐天下不亂,愛看別人的熱鬧,看到別人受苦他就開心了。這種女皇性格我太欣賞了。 天才不二萬歲!唯一能夠征服你的就是悶騷王道 - 青学最強の男!!!
塚二 最高!(這個部分完全針對同人女而寫,所以特別轉了中文。。。爆!)


海堂薫 - Ugly...u r right but adorable. I was extremely thrilled when he tried to play with Carupin, Ryoma's himalayan cat that accidentally wondered into the locker room. This guy is your typical gentle giant, tries to act tough but really a kind chap at heart. You cannot hate this guy....really.

菊丸英二 - Very good at acrobatic tennis, but stamina is bad. Favourite past time is poking fun at his team mates. He forms half of the golden pair doubles with 大石 . Well......he overdid the teasing and caused the biggest crisis in Seigaku when the Golden Pair almost broke up. ( YES, this is another slashable couple!!!). He has an obsession with toothpaste and has a teddy bear (huge one) which always falls on the left hand side ( OKAY....let me get this straight, he is not a faggot!)

大石 - Vice captain of Seigaku. The other half of the Golden Pair. If 手塚国光 is the dryest of all captains, then 大石 is the matronly figure of the team. Always concerned about his teammates including matters outside of the tennis team.

乾サダはら - This one.....outright pervert. Wears rectangular reflective glasses, enjoys collecting data on different players and analysing them on his computer. He designs training menus and dreams up concotions like the penal-tea ( yes, a penalty drink the players have to down if they finish the laps below 50 sec) and other wierd veg juices. Only the other pervert of the team 不二 seems to enjoy the drinks.

The characters on all other rival teams especially 不動峰are also very well developed. Just cannot go on and on here.

The voice acting is great, even the character songs are solid. The voice actors formed two groups ( i think) between them and one does the heavy power serious sound tracks, while the other groups does all the crappy hilarious songs. The filler episodes are darn funny esp the one where Carupin follows Ryoma to school.

You should watch this if you are a
(1)yaoi lover (2) outright pervert (3) sucker for bishounen (4)sucker for long series (5) tennis lover.

Hmmmm.......I am Fuji .........hmmmmmmm. I am psycho, but def not sexy or irresistable ( in fact, I think I have got so much hate mail, it could bury my CD collection)


I'm Fuji!

You're Fuji!

No comments: