Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Nothing....just gushing over an old classic

"Despair has its own calm"
"How blessed are some people, whose lives have no fears, no dreads, to whom sleep is a blessing that comes nightly, and brings nothing but sweet dreams."
" No man knows till he experiences it, what it is like to feel his own life-blood drawn away into the woman he loves."
"The sweetness was turned to adamantine, heartless cruelty, and the purity to voluptuous wantonness."
"My revenge has just begun! I spread it over centuries and time is on my side."
~~Bram Stoker, Dracula



I remembered the first time I read Bram Stoker's Dracula was when I was still a young kid. It was not the full version, only an abridged version from the famous Ladybird series (do kids these days still read Ladybird classics?)

Despite being an abridged version, I was unable to sleep for a few nites after reading the book. Just plain scared I suppose coz all Ladybird books came with lotsa illustration. I picked up the full length version subsequently when I got older. Great....full length version had no visuals to scare me off. I fell in love with the story and started liking anything black, bloody, gothic......(yes, blame it on Bram Stoker if I do not wish to blame my own wierd self)

Such a painful love story, full of angst, blood and violence. Coppola's movie was slammed by many as excessive, but it remains one of my favourite cult classics. Only Annie Lennox is capable of delivering the theme song to the movie. You ask me what makes a someone a true performer, just learn from Annie Lennox. She completely immerses herself into the song, looking like she has just stepped out from the Victorian Age. The amount of emotions she packs into her voice....whooooo, the first time I heard the MTV over TV, tears welled up in my eyes coz the lyrics just kept running through my head. Its the feeling of desperation, that feeling of one against the world and despite trying so hard, you cannot get what you want ( aka Impaler feeling the loss of his first wife.) I also loved the way the music tries to imitate our heartbeat in the background, your heart literally beats with the song as it moves.

Was recently on Youtube and found this live clip. She sounds better than CD. Whats makes a real singer....look at Annie Lennox.

Love Song for a Vampire - Annie Lennox
Anybody wants to watch BLOOD AND CHOCOLATE!!!??

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh,你終於讓人留comment了!
聽說有好些喜歡yuki的人也喜歡takui,
他的聲音真的不錯,
他的頭超大!

Anonymous said...

对啊。。。终于开放comment了,如果不这样,好像有点逆水行舟。

我是喜欢takui好久了,也看他努力好久,不过就是一直在2-3线之间徘徊。就是头大害的啦。。。人小小,头那么大!

bh