Monday, June 19, 2006

Jelly Making Weekend ^O^

Ow......alright.....have been experimenting with this TORTALLY jelly mix whole weekend.
(Scenic - I have almost perfected it and if the fishbone is still there, I will make a huge bowl of jelly for you next week. What flavour you wan??)

BH's obsession with jelly started on ....ta---da-----!!!!

Friday nite :
started with strawberry flavour and just followed the directions on the package. Jelly turned out just as expected, except a bit tasteless. Think I added to much water, but I was worried the crystals would not dissolve and I was stirring like mad. So much for kiasu-ism.....will add in lesser water the next time. And I was lazy to wash the molds, so I let the entire pack set in one huge soup bowl.
After putting it into the fridge, I was basically OBSESSED with the jelly bowl. Every commercial break, I would open the fridge and poke my fingers into it to see if the jelly has set. No luck and I went to bed unsatisfied.

The jelly set by the next morning and I dug a huge metal spoon ( which I nicked on my last JAL flight) into the bowl. Texture was okay except it was a bit on the soft side ( I like my jelly springy!!!!! like Doing....doing......) and a bit bland. Other than that, was quite happy with myself.

Saturday
Fixated with how fruit bits could be added into jelly.

Major question was HOW DO THE FRUIT BITS STAY SCATTERED THROUGHOUT THE JELLY AND NOT SINK TO THE BOTTOM?????

Asked scenic the same question on the MRT........

We both pondered ..... and pondered.....

--layering ?? - Nah, my jelly dessert will look like kueh lapis
--sthg to do with density?? -- Ummm, probably, I need to try this out. But the fruit bits feel like they would sink to the bottom of the mold.....really need to experiment on this one.

Bought 2 more packs of TORTALLY jelly mix ( Lime and Strawberry <---again!) and 1 can of fruit cocktail before hitting home. Played with the lime flavour jelly pack before going to bed. Am getting quite good at it......mix the crystals in hot water till everything is dissolved, then add cold water. Simple! Next comes the density test - dropped in one pear bit.....it SANK right to the bottom of the mold. Tried again with one peach bit.....SANK as well. Almost wanted to just pour the entire can in and let all the fruit bits sink. ( That way, when I inverted the mold the next day, all the fruit bits would at least be at the top??)
For a good 20 mins, I just stared at the jelly mix......added fuit bits one by one. In between, I did the finger poking thing as well. Strange thing was, the jelly mix was still liquid but after a while, not all the fruit bits sank. Poured in the whole can and while majority of the bits sank, some actually floated and were scattered around. Uh-hum......so I actually need to wait for the jelly mix to sort of like set half way and make sure its still liquid form, the add in the fruit bits for the scattered effect.
Density test OK !!!!!! Put the mold into the fridge and went to bed feeling really satisfied.
Sunday
Totaly obsessed with removal of the jelly from the mold with the jelly intact. It was almost impossible!!!!! Jelly is not agar agar! It sticks to the bloody mold!!!!!!!!!

Made a big mess out of it but found out later from helpful mother that I should have just run hot water on the outside of the mold to dislodge the jelly layer next to the mold. This should release the entire jelly intact.

Okay, will try again this coming weekend. This time will play with fruit juices instead of cold water to make the jelly mix. And also, try and get the entire jelly out of the mold intact.

Qn : whats the diff between Jelly and jello?

No comments: